PTS flow bench build
The design of this bench evolved from a forum of enthusiasts with many succesful examples built. After building the bench, I can certainly attest to the design and though I did not use all the electronic gadgets that were developed for the bench, the ones that I did buy and use work very well.
Plans and parts can be purchased from PTS Flowbench Technology: http://www.flowbenchtech.com/
PTS hosts a very helpful forum for those that embark on the build.
Aside from the plans, here’s what I bought from PTS:
- Motor variable speed control and contactor http://www.flowbenchtech.com/ssr.html
- Diretional valves http://www.flowbenchtech.com/valves.html
- Pressure pickups http://www.flowbenchtech.com/pressurepickups.html
- Motor control: controls motor speed to maintain a chosen depression and works very well http://www.flowbenchtech.com/motorcontrol.html
I didn’t go for the PTS digital manometer and software (by all accounts a fine unit) opting instead for the Performance Trends Port Flow analyser and black box which I am very happy with: http://performancetrends.com/pfa.htm
The main difference between the PTS Digital Mamometer and the Performance Trends Black Box is that the PTS flow sensor is a 16″ of H2O unit while the PT is a 10″ of H2O sensor. So you need to re-jig your calibration parameters to suit. I also opted for the 100″ test pressure sensor as my intention was to experiment with ‘floating depression’ tests where test pressures can get very high.
I built provision for 6 Ametek 19996-00 vacuum motors but only installed 4. This ended up delivering about 290cfm @ 28″ depression, which is plenty for the bikes I generally deal with – mainly classic BMW ‘airheads’. The shape of the cabinet was changed with a shorter portion of sloping instrument panel that allows a larger bench area around the test hole.
I also made the orifice flow plates which are square edged without a bevel (Cd=0.61). To calibrate each of the orifice plates I made a set of test plates that were mounted on the test platten (where the head goes) and checked flow and test depressions against home-made mamometers that were tee-ed into the system for the calibration process.
Here’s the final product: